Mr Plant, Mrs Bacon, Miss Shallow and Mrs Wright welcome you all and hope that the following information will give a flavour of what the children will experience in Year 3.
In Year 3, we cover an exciting range of topics throughout the year as part of our Learning Challenges. Our Autumn topics are as follows:
- What makes the Earth angry? This includes studying volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis. The children will have the opportunity to make their very own erupting volcano!
- How can Usain Bolt run so fast? During this topic, we study the skeletons of living things, and look at how our muscles work. We will create our own skeletons and working models of a muscle.
Later on this year we will be answering the questions:
- Who were Newton and Chambers? (History focus) Local history of Chapeltown
- What makes things attractive? (Science focus) Magnets
- Who were the first Britains? (History focus) Stone Age and Iron Age
- Where do rivers go? (Geography focus)
- Can we grow our own lunch? (Science focus) Plants
- Can we throw and catch our own shadow? (Science focus) Light and shadows
Further information about these Learning Challenges will be added closer to the time.
Our class PE days are Tuesday and Thursday. Please ensure that children have the correct PE kit in school on these days.
The correct kit includes a plain white t-shirt, black shorts and plimsolls for indoor lessons.
For outdoor activities, children will require a sweatshirt/hooded top, jogging bottoms and outdoor trainers.
In Year 3, homework is usually set on a weekly basis. Children are expected to read four times a week, and have their reading record completed by a parent/carer. Reading records will be checked by your child’s class teacher once a week, on their group guided reading day. Children will earn smilies for bringing in their completed reading record. Spellings will be set on a weekly basis, children will have a spelling test once a week with new spellings set on the same day. Maths homework is set every week via the online platform ‘My Maths’. Login details will be sent home in the first couple of weeks so that your child can access their account at home. If you experience any problems with this, do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher.
Please note that spellings and maths homework will be set on the same day – Wednesdays for Y3BK and Thursdays for Y3HW. In addition to this, there will occasionally be creative homeworks linked to our current Learning Challenge.
During the year, we hope to go on different school trips linked to our Learning Challenges. These will vary in that some will be locally-based and others will involve travelling by coach. More information on these trips will follow nearer the time, with adequate notice given beforehand.
We are looking forward to introducing the children to the studying of Modern Foreign Languages. In Year 3, the children will be learning Spanish on a weekly basis. This will culminate in a Spanish-themed day at the end of the year.
We are really looking forward to working with you this year. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to pop into class.